Phenergan is a phenothiazine antihistamine that is used to reduce allergy symptoms, including hives or runny nose. It is also prescribed for other conditions like treatment and prevention of nausea during and after surgery, light sleep, prevent and treatment of motion sickness.
Use Phenergan the way it is prescribed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
Take Phenergan inside with food or after eating. If stomach upset occurs, take it with food to reduce stomach irritation.
If you are using Phenergan for motion sickness prevention, take a dose at least 30-60 minutes before starting the journey.
THE MECHANISM OF ACTION
Phenergan is a phenothiazine and antihistamine. It works by blocking the areas, where histamines are active.
If you miss a dose of Phenergan, and you are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If this occurred while taking your next dose, skip the missed one and go back to regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose at once.
Store it at room temperature (between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in an air tight container protecting it from direct exposure to light, heat and moisture. Keep away from pets and children.
Do not use Phenergan, in case:
- you are allergic to any ingredient of Phenergan
- you have severe central nervous system depression or you are in coma
- you can also take astemizole, cisapride, terfenadine or tramadol
Contact your doctor immediately if any of these items concern you.
Some medicines may interact with Phenergan. Tell your doctor if you have any diseases, especially if any of the following concerns you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation or dietary supplements
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods or other substances
- if you have any problems with nervous system, bone marrow depression, heart problems, blood disease, glaucoma, increased intraocular pressure, low blood pressure, liver problems, prostate problems, Parkinson\'s disease, seizures or Reye syndrome
- if you regularly consume large amounts of alcohol
Some medicines may interact with Phenergan. Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following ones:
- Charcoal or lithium, they may decrease the effectiveness of Phenergan
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (for example, enalapril), astemizole, cisapride, general anesthetics (for example, thiopental), methyldopa, terfenadine or tramadol, as side effects such as low blood pressure and seizures, may occur.
- ACE inhibitors (for example, enalapril), haloperidol, lithium, meperidine, metrizamide, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (for example, phenelzine), naltrexone, polypeptide antibiotics (for example, actinomycin) or trazodone, the risk of their side effects may be increased when taking these medicaments with Phenergan
- Bromocriptine, epinephrine, levodopa, pergolide, their effectiveness may be reduced when taking these medicaments with Phenergan