Olanzapin is used for short-term treatment of agitation caused by schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. This drug can be used for other diseases treatment based on doctor’s prescription.
Use Olanzapine on doctor’s prescription only. Check drug instruction to get exact information on dosage.
As a rule, Olanzapine is taken in form of injection at doctor’s cabinet, hospital or clinics. If you plan Olanzapine intake at home your doctor is to teach you how to make injections correctly. Make sure you understand correctly on how to use Olanzapine. Follow the procedure you’ve been taught when using the dosage. Be sure to consult your doctor in case you have any questions.
Don’t use Olanzapine if it contains particles, turbid, colorless or its bottle is cracked or corrupted. Inform your doctor if you have missed this drug intake. Consult your doctor in case you have any questions concerning Olanzapine intake.
Drug class and mechanism of action
Olanzapine is atypical anti psychotic drug. Its influence had not been studied yet. It is considered that it influences some agents in brain.
During single miss of doze intake it is necessary to take the doze as soon as possible. If the time of missed doze intake corresponds to the time of next doze intake, the drug intake should be missed. The double dosage is prohibited for intake
Store the drug in a tightly closed container at room temperature in the place protected from humidity and light.
Warning / precautions
DO NOT use Olanzapine if:
- you are allergic to any of its components
Be sure to contact your doctor or pharmaceutist immediately if case if such effects occur.
Before Olanzapine usage:
Some medical preparations can interact with Olanzapine. Be sure to inform your doctor or pharmaceutist about the following diseases or circumstances:
- pregnancy, plans to get pregnant or breast feeding
- the intake of other drugs sold on doctor’s prescription or without it, vegetable preparations or food add-on
- allergy to drugs, food or other agents,
- spasms, heat problems (e.g. fast, quick or irregular heartbeat, heart insufficiency, electrocardiogram disorder (ECG), myocardial infarction, stroke or mini stroke, blood vessels diseases, cholesterol high level in blood, high or low blood pressure, or low level of white blood cells
- if you have liver, stomach or intestine problems (e.g. muscle activity decrease), prostate increase, glaucoma, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), aspiration pneumonia or suicide thoughts
- if you have Altzgamer disease, intestine blockage, dementia or difficult swallowing
- if you or your family members have diabetes or extreme weight
- if you have high level of prolactine in your blood or some types of cancer (e.g. breast, pancreatic or hypophysis cancer) or you are prone to breast cancer
- if you have dehydration, you drink, smoke or you have high temperatureе
Some drugs can interact with olanzapine.
Be sure to inform your doctor if you take any of the medicines mentioned below:
- alfa -blockers (e.g. doxazozine ), diazepam, or drugs used for high blood pressure treatment, as the risk of low blood pressure or fainting might increase
- antiholinergic drugs (e.g. skopolamine), benzodiazepines (e.g. lorazepam) or fluvoxamine as they can increase the risk of side effects olanzapine might arise
- karbamazepine, AIDS inhibitors proteases (e.g. ritonavir), omeprazole or rifampitzine as they can decrease olanzapine efficiency
- receptors dopamine agonists (e.g. pramipexol) or levodole as this drug can increase the aforementioned medicines efficiency.
This list of interactions is not complete. Be sure to consult your doctor on the matters what other drugs you take can interact with olanzapine.
Consult your doctor before starting, stopping or change the dosage of any drug you take.