Levothroid is used for the treatment of hypothyroidism (low level of thyroid gland hormones). It is also used for the treatment and prevention of bronchocele (thyroid gland increase), which can be caused by hormonal imbalance, radiation therapy, surgery, or cancer.
Use Levothroid in accordance with doctor’s indications.
- take Levothroid by washing it down with a full glass of water (8 oz).
- take this drug 30 minutes before meal.
- Levothroid is usually taken in the morning.
Mechanism of action
Levothroid replaces hormone which is normally produced by thyroid gland to regulate body energy and metabolism. Levothroid is prescribed when thyroid gland doesn’t produce sufficient amount of this hormone.
If you miss Levothroid during its regular intake take missed doze as soon as possible. If it has happened during the time for next doze intake avoid missed doze and follow usual schedule. Double dosage intake is prohibited.
Store Levothroid at the temperature of 68 - 77 F degrees (20 - 25 С) in a tightly closed containers, protected from light, heat and humidity. Do not store at bathroom. Do not take these pills after their expiration date is expired. Keep Levothroid away from children and home pets.
Do not use Levothroid, if
- you are allergic to any Levothroid component;
- you have heart attacks history, chest pain (stenocardia), adrenal (gland) diseases or increased level of tireoid hormones.
- Levothroid in pills can distend quickly and cause asthma, nausea as the pill can stuck in the throat or can cause difficulties with swallowing. So it is important to wash the pill out with the full glass of water.
- Inform your doctor or dentist on Levothroid intake before getting any medical or dental assistance, urgent assistance or surgery.
- you need to pass laboratory tests in case of the intake of the drugs used for the blood dilution simultaneously with Levothroid.
- diabetes. – Levothroid can influence sugar level in the blood. Consult with your doctor and check sugar level in blood.
- laboratory tests might be necessary for the treatment control. Mind saving the prescriptions.
- children should be extremely cautious with Levothroid intake;
- pregnancy and breast feeding. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant to discuss advantages and risks of Levothroid intake. Levothroid is absorbed by breast milk so be sure to consult your doctor on Levothroid influence during breast feeding.