This medicine is used for treating depression. It may also be used for relief of an anxiety disorder (eg, sleeplessness, tension), chronic pain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How to use
Use Desyrel exactly as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
The drug comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Desyrel refilled.
Take Desyrel shortly after a meal or light snack.
It may take 1 to 4 weeks for Desyrel to work. Do not stop taking Desyrel without checking with your doctor.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Desyrel is a tetracyclic antidepressant. It is thought to increase the activity of one of the brain chemicals (serotonin), which helps elevate mood.
In case a dose is missed, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up. If more than one dose is missed, restart medication and advise your doctor or pharmacist at your next appointment.
Desyrel is stored at room temperature, 15-30 degrees C (59-86 degrees F)
Do NOT use Desyrel if you are:
- allergic to any ingredient in Desyrel or nefazodone
- taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Desyrel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you if:
- you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- you have heart disease including irregular heartbeat or have had a heart attack
- you have a history of depression or suicidal tendencies
- you are scheduled to have surgery
- you consume alcoholic beverages
Certain MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Desyrel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, ethanol, ginkgo biloba, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine), or serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine) because side effects, such as increased drowsiness or blurred vision, may occur
- Buspirone, carbamazepine, digoxin, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine), or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Desyrel
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because they may decrease Desyrel \'s effectiveness. Your doctor may want to adjust your dose while taking Desyrel